Friday, January 23, 2009

Once Again

Every now and then I check on Mark Leyner's career to see how far he's fallen since his 1997 masterpiece, The Tetherballs of Bougainville. The last thing was a horrible Middle East corporation film, War, Inc.

But now he's cashing in once again with another crappy medical humor book he's known to co-author. This time it's called Let's Play Doctor. I haven't read it, but it's got a phat 1.5 stars on amazon, and this review:

In case you're inclined to view Leyner's previous career (as a uniquely sardonic wit and social satirist) as the product of a bargain struck with Mephistopheles, these "doctor books" he now dashes off in conjunction with this Goldberg character can be viewed as what comes after the twist ending - when Satan shows up at the book-signing party demanding payment in full, and waving the signed contract like a combination past-due invoice and eviction notice.

The most bothersome aspect is the probability that something like LET'S PLAY DOCTOR is outselling ET TU, BABE by a ten-to-one margin, which is hardly Leyner's fault. But better he spends his free time with lawyers rather than doctors; what he needs is a contract-law barracuda to renegotiate his original deal with the devil, so he can get back to leaving bite-marks in corn dogs, posthaste.


I couldn't agree more.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why do men have nipples sucked

11:45 PM  
Blogger John said...

I like to occasionally check in on the career of Lary Crews. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1265523/

Not only is the middle picture on his IMDb profile creepily Photoshopped (the one with the defiantly crossed arms), he is listed as being cast in at least two films that haven't even gone into production yet - and one of which doesn't even have a script. What a winner! Also, he posts on IMDb, and brags about holding one of the actresses from The Office on his lap when she was a baby. I expect to see him meeting Chris Hanson soon.

10:04 AM  
Blogger kev said...

I somehow convinced my sister to read Tetherballs. I think she liked it.

4:08 AM  
Blogger kev said...

You've probably read it, but I just discovered this:

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~cooneys/poems/crit/postmod.html

It's not the funniest thing ever, but I think anyone with an academic background in 'the arts' can appreciate it.

9:40 AM  
Blogger kev said...

As you can tell by looking at the timestamps of my two previous comments, I've been contemplating your post re: Mark Leyner for several hours. I will stop now.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Cutup said...

I'm glad you and John Ulmer derive mutual joy from my blog.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home